Admission requirements

Students who have completed at least nine credit hours in speech and hearing science coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.75 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in those courses are eligible to apply. Applications are accepted from students who have completed a bachelor's degree in speech and hearing science or communication disorders from a program accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, providing their GPA in the major was at least 2.75.

A student pursuing an undergraduate certificate must be enrolled as a degree-seeking student at ASU. Undergraduate certificates are not awarded prior to the award of an undergraduate degree. A student already holding an undergraduate degree may pursue an undergraduate certificate as a non-degree seeking graduate student.

Students must complete a separate application for the certificate:

Program requirements

The certificate program includes 15 credit hours of coursework and a clinical internship completed in conjunction with the bachelor's degree in speech and hearing science.

Twelve of the 15 credit hours for the certificate must be completed at ASU. A minimum grade of "B-" (2.70 on a 4.00 scale) is required for each course.

Required Courses -- 15 credit hours

SHS 402: Clinical Methods and Treatment of Communication Disorders (3)
SHS 470: Developmental Speech and Language Disorders or SHS 485: Acquired Speech and Language Disorders or SHS 565: Speech and Language Acquisition (3)
SHS 473: Implementation of Treatment Plans for Individuals with Communication Disorders (3)
SHS 483: Professional Issues and Ethical Considerations for the SLPA (3)
SHS 484: SLPA Certificate (3)

Prerequisite courses may be needed in order to complete the requirements of this certificate.

Certification and licensure

The College of Health Solutions prepares graduates for excellence upon entering the workplace. Since certification and licensure requirements vary by profession and from state-to-state, we recommend that you visit the ASU licensure website to determine if your program meets the requirements of individual state licensures or national certifications, as applicable. If you have specific questions, please contact your program director or degree coordinator.