Internships and other experiential opportunities are vital to develop skills and practical knowledge to complement academic achievement for students in the College of Health Solutions who seek competitive advantage when honing in on a career in health care. Experiential education provide students the opportunity to earn academic credit while applying learning and enhancing skills that improve employability and allow exposure to professional environments.
The following internship programs are offered by the ASU College of Health Solutions:
Benefits of an Internship
- Gain valuable work experience to be professionally competitive in health care
- Develop new skills while refining others
- Apply knowledge gained from coursework
- Explore potential career options and experience new work environments
- Establish and expand your professional network
- Internships may lead to paid, full-time or career positions
Things to Consider
- Begin your search early. It may take several months to find the right option.
- Many internship programs have deadlines as early as fall for the following summer.
- Some internships may require specific coursework or experience to be eligible.
- To make yourself competitive for an internship, you can build your resume by participating in student organizations, community service and leadership activities.
- Entering first-year and transfer students: we recommend you allow yourself at least one quarter of academic study to adjust to life at ASU before starting your internship. Some students find it advisable to wait an entire year.
Successful completion of 45 or more credit hours in academic good standing (2.0 or better). Program-specific internships may require a higher GPA. MED 484 and HSC 484 require a 3.0 or higher. Students specifically interested in a clinical shadowing experience in a clinical internship environment must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better and should consult with their academic advisor beforehand to ensure all requirements are met and that the experience will fulfill a graduation requirement. To submit your initial application, please visit https://clinicalpartnerships.asu.edu/phip after working with your advisor to make sure you meet requirements and that the timing is appropriate as it relates to other academic requirements.