The Health Quarters Residential Community (HQ) is a living and learning program designed exclusively for freshmen in the College of Health Solutions majoring in Nutrition, Exercise and Wellness, Medical Studies, Health Sciences, Public Health, Science of Health Care Delivery, and Kinesiology at the Downtown Phoenix Campus, and Speech and Hearing Science and Biomedical Informatics at the Tempe Campus. The Health Quarters Residential Community provides opportunities for students to interact with peers, faculty, and advisors through academic and social programming in their residence hall. The Health Quarters Residential Community is housed within Taylor Place at the Downtown Phoenix campus as well as Hayden Hall at the Tempe Campus.
Benefits of the HQ Residential Community
- Allows for continual interaction with College of Health Solutions faculty and staff members as well as Residential College Student Leaders (RCSLs) who are dedicated to your community and to helping you succeed at ASU.
- Provides an opportunity to engage in ASU’s spirit, pride, and traditions by attending sporting, social, and cultural events with other students in your community.
- Meet with staff, faculty, and administration over meals in the residence hall to discuss academics or to help cultivate personal and professional interests.
- Explore career options with the aid of guest speakers in the healthcare field.
- Access to on-site study groups, tutoring, and academic support services.
- Field trips to athletic training facilities, healthy food operations, and healthcare facilities.
- Participate in community service projects and social events in both the Downtown Phoenix and Tempe communities.
Living in Downtown Phoenix
(Nutrition, Exercise and Wellness, Medical Studies, Health Sciences, Public Health, Science of Healthcare Delivery and Kinesiology).
- Woven into the downtown community, the campus creates strong learning and career connections for its students with state-of-the-art living and learning facilities found in the heart of Arizona’s capital.
- Taylor Place houses students in two towers and features student lounges and meeting spaces, laundry facilities, on-site dining and vending, a private roof terrace, a 4,000-square foot neighborhood shade garden and the Devil’s Den, a gaming and recreational space for residents.
- A short distance to robust arts district Roosevelt Row, the Arizona Science Center, Phoenix Symphony Hall, Herberger Theater, CityScape, Chase Field, Professional Basketball (both men’s and women’s), fantastic local dining, local food trucks, and much more!
- Quick walk to all campus buildings on the Downtown Phoenix campus
- Valley Metro light rail or intercampus shuttle will get you wherever you would like to go in the valley – no is car needed!
For more information please contact Kate.Opitz@asu.edu
Living in Tempe
(Speech and Hearing Science and Biomedical Informatics)
- Broad pedestrian malls, subtropical landscaping and imaginative architecture welcome students at the historic Tempe campus.
- The Sun Devils’ athletic complex, performing arts facilities and high-tech research space create a dynamic and engaging learning environment.
- All Residential Communities are situated in proximity to an All-You-Care-to-Eat dining facility and have amenities that support academic success, student engagement and recreation, such as sports and recreation facilities, volleyball courts, barbecue grills, computer labs, group study rooms, community spaces and landscaped courtyards.
- Hayden Hall is close to the Memorial Union, Gammage Auditorium and Student Services Building with Flash and intercampus shuttle stops right outside.
- Walk to historical Mill Avenue for shopping, dining, and pre-game activities with Devils on Mill
- Valley Metro light rail and busses will get you wherever you would like to go in the valley – no is car needed!
For more information please contact Kiri.Theobald@asu.edu
- Incoming freshmen admitted to Nutrition, Exercise and Wellness, Medical Studies, Health Sciences, Public Health or Kinesiology are required to live in the Health Quarters Residential Community in Taylor Place, Downtown Phoenix.
- Incoming freshmen admitted to Speech and Hearing Science or Biomedical Informatics are required to live in the Health Quarters Residential Community in Hayden Hall, Tempe.
- Residents must confirm University Housing preferences in order to be placed within the community.
- Residents must be full-time incoming freshman within the College of Health Solutions.
- Applicants must be willing to engage academically and socially with the community.
Kate Opitz, Academic Success Coordinator, Downtown Phoenix (Taylor Place)
Marcus Rucker, Academic Success Specialist, Downtown Phoenix (Taylor Place)
Kristin Hoffner, Lecturer, Downtown Phoenix (Taylor Place)
Jonathan Kurka, Instructor, Downtown Phoenix Taylor Place)
Kiri Theobald, Academic Success Specialist, Tempe (Hayden Hall)
Please contact us if you have questions about living in the Health Quarters Residential Community in Taylor Place or Hayden Hall.Residential Community Benefits