Dietetic Internship (Non-degree Track)
The Arizona State University Non-degree Dietetic Internship Track is an 8-month program for individuals who have completed at least a bachelor’s degree as well as the ASU Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) coursework requirements. This track of the program only open to ASU DPD graduates. It is not a requirement that eligible applicants have a BS degree from ASU, but they must have completed the ASU DPD program (or apply while their final DPD courses are in progress). The dietetic internship provides the supervised practice experience that is required to be eligible to take the registration examination for dietitians.
The ASU Non-degree Dietetic Internship program has a concentration in wellness and is designed to meet the competencies for entry-level practice as an R.D. The program requires completion of approximately 1296 hours (about 8 months full-time) of supervised practice experience.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Successful completion of the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) at Arizona State University (ASU) within the past five years. (Applicants must submit an original, signed DPD Verification Statement from ASU, or a signed Declaration of Intent to Complete form if they have yet to graduate, from the ASU DPD Director.)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) as well as a minimum GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) in DPD courses.
- Dietetics-related work and/or volunteer experience.
The Non-degree track of the ASU Dietetic Internship utilizes the online DICAS application system and D&D Digital computer matching DI application process.
- The program is using the on-line centralized internship application, DICAS, e-mail DICASinfo@DICAS.org. The on-line application must be completed by 11:59 pm Central Time on February 15th. The fee to use DICAS is $50 for the first application submitted and $25 for each additional application.
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to: DICAS - Transcript Dept., PO Box 9118, Watertown, MA, 02472.
- When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Applicants must also register online with D&D Digital for computer matching and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 pm Central Time on February 15th. There is a $50 computer matching fee.
- Provide an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) Verification Statement or Declaration of Intent to Complete a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) from ASU – submitted with the DICAS online application.
- Provide official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended showing a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (bachelor's degree must be completed before beginning internship in August) – submitted with the DICAS online application.
- Request 3 letters of recommendation - submitted with the DICAS online application.
- Provide a resume or curriculum vita - submitted with the DICAS online application.
- Provide a 1-2 page personal statement addressing the following:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- Describe the significant professional responsibilities you have held.
- State your professional goals and reasons for desiring to enroll in this DI program.
- Describe your strengths that will help you succeed in the program and in reaching your professional goals.
- What other information do you consider important about yourself for the selection decision?
This personal statement should be submitted with the DICAS online application.
- Finalists will have a personal interview with the selection committee.
- If you are matched into the ASU Non-Degree Dietetic Internship, you must apply to become a non-degree graduate student at Arizona State University and enroll in 3 credits of NTR 580, “Dietetic Practicum," in the fall semester and another 3 credits of NTR 580 in the spring semester.
More Information and Details
For information about ASU Dietetic Internship costs, schedules, policies and procedures, please see the ASU Dietetic Internship Handbook.
|Openings in Non-Degree Dietetic Internship Track||6|
|Minimum GPA required||3.0|
|Ranking of importance for acceptance:||1. GPA |
2. Dietetic-related work and volunteer experience
3. Letter of Application (personal statement)
4. Letters of Recommendation