Dr. Shu Wang is a professor of Nutrition at the College of Health Solutions at ASU.
Dr. Wang conducts innovative research in nutrition and nanomedicine. Her research focuses on using biocompatible and biodegradable nanocarriers to enhance bioactivities of phytochemicals for the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases, especially cardiovascular disease and obesity. She has been funded by a variety of federal, industry and foundation agencies, especially three competitive NIH awards. Since 2009, she has published more than forty peer-reviewed articles and four book chapters. Dr. Shu Wang has received several research honors to recognize the quality of her research. This includes American Heart (AHA) Association Young Investigator Award Finalist, 2014 Chancellors Council Distinguished Research Award in the Texas Tech University system, and 2017 Mary Swartz Rose Young Investigator Award from American Society for Nutrition. Dr. Wang is a fellow of AHA and a member of the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry editorial board. She served in grant review panels of NIH and AHA.
PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism Tufts University, Medford, MA
MS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Medicine Degree Norman Bethune University of Medical Sciences, Changchun, China
Assessing the interplay between diet and chronic diseases including obesity, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes
Innovative approaches for improving health
- Encapsulating phytochemicals and bioactive compounds into nanoparticles to prevent and treat chronic diseases including obesity, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes
- Drug delivery systems
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (2016-2020)
(Corresponding author in bold font*. Impact factor (IF))
- Goktas Z, Zu Y, Abbasi M, Galyean S, Wu D, Fan Z, Wang S*. Recent Advances in Nanoencapsulation of Phytochemicals to Combat Obesity and Its Comorbidities. J Agric Food Chem (Accepted. Invited article.)
- Overby H; Yang Y; Xu X; Wang S; Zhao L. Indomethacin promotes browning and brown adipogenesis in both murine and human fat cells. Pharmacology Research & Perspectives. 2020 (accepted, in press) (IF: 2.58)
- Feizy Z, Peddibhotla S, Hossain KMS, Hegde V, Wang S, and Dhurandhar N. Nanoparticle-mediated in-vitro delivery of E4orf1 to preadipocytes is a clinically relevant delivery system to improve glucose uptake. International Journal of Obesity. 2020 Jan 21. doi: 10.1038/s41366-020-0526-6 (IF: 5.337)
- Zhang J, Nie S, Zu Y, Abbasi M, Cao J, Li C, Wu D, Labib S, Brackee G, Shen CL, Wang S*. Anti-atherogenic effects of CD36-targeted epigallocatechin gallate-loaded nanoparticles. J Control Release. 2019 Apr 15;303:263-273. (IF: 7.877)
- Hao L*, Scott S, Abbasi M, Zu Y, Khan MSH, Yang Y, Wu DY, Zhao L, Wang S*. Beneficial metabolic effects of mirabegron in vitro and in high-fat diet-induced obese mice. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2019 Jun;369(3):419-427. (IF: 3.867)
- Islam N, Hoque MNF, Li W, Wang S, Warzywoda J, Fan Z. Vertically edge-oriented graphene on plasma pyrolyzed cellulose fibers and demonstration of kilohertz high-frequency filtering electrical double layer capacitors. Carbon. 2019 January; 141:523-530. (IF: 7.466)
- Hao L, Kearns J. Scott S, Wu D, Kodani S, Morisseau C, Hammock SD, Sun X, Zhao L, Wang S*. Indomethacin enhanced brown fat activity. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2018:365(3):467-475. (IF: 3.867)
- Shen CL, Wang S, Yang S, Tomison MD, Abbasi M, Hao L, Scott S, Khan MS, Romero AW, Felton CK, Mo H. A 12-week evaluation of annatto tocotrienol supplementation for postmenopausal women: safety, quality of life, body composition, physical activity, and nutrient intake. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018:18(1):198. doi: 10.1186/s12906-018-2263-0. (IF: 2.479)
- Islam N, Wang S, Warzywoda J, Fan Z. Fast supercapacitors based on vertically oriented MoS2 nanosheets on plasma pyrolyzed cellulose filter paper. J of Power Sources. 2018:400:277-283. (IF: 7.467)
- Albracht-Schulte K, Kalupahana NS, Ramalingam L, Wang S, Rahman SM, Robert-McComb J, Moustaid-Moussa N. Omega-3 fatty acids in obesity and metabolic syndrome: A mechanistic update. J Nutr Biochem. 2018:58:1-16. (IF: 4.490)
- Zu Y, Overby H, Ren G, Fan ZY, Zhao L, Wang S*. Resveratrol liposomes and lipid nanocarriers: comparison of characteristics and inducing browning of white adipocytes. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2018:164: 414-423. (IF: 3.973)
- Chung E, Mo H, Wang S, Zu Y, Rios SR, Elfakhani M, Chyu MC, Yang RS, Shen CL. Potential roles of vitamin E in age-associated change in skeletal muscle health. Nutr Res. 2018:49:23-36. (IF: 2.627)
- Chen L, Mo H, Zhao L, Gao W, Wang S, Cromie MM, Lu C, Wang JS, Shen CL. Therapeutic properties of green tea against environmental insults. J Nutr Biochem. 2017 Feb; 40: 1-13. Doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2016.05.005. PMID: 27723473. (IF: 4.490)
- Zhang J, Zu Y, Dhanasekara Chathurika, Li J, Wu DY, Fan ZY, Wang S*. Detection and Treatment of Atherosclerosis Using Nanoparticles. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol. 2017, doi: 10.1002/wnan.1412. PMID: 27241794. (IF: 6.14)
- Li S, Warzywoda J, Wang S, Ren G, Fan Z. Bacterial cellulose derived carbon nanofiber aerogel with lithium polysulfide catholyte for lithiumesulfur batteries. Carbon 2017:124: 212-218. (IF: 7.466)
- Islam N, Li S, Ren G, Zu Y, Warzywoda J, Wang S, Fan Z. High-frequency electrochemical capacitors based on plasma pyrolyzed bacterial cellulose aerogel for current ripple filtering and pulse energy storage. Nano Energy. 2017:40:107-114. (IF: 15.548)
- Hu P, Overby H, Heal E, Wang S, Chen J, Shen CL, Zhao L. Methylparaben and butylparaben alter multipotent mesenchymal stem cell fates towards adipocyte lineage. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017:329:48-57. PMID: 28527915. (IF: 3.705)
- Shen CL, Mo H, Yang S, Wang S, Felton CK, Tomison MD, Soelaiman IN. Safety and efficacy of tocotrienol supplementation for bone health in postmenopausal women: protocol for a dose-response double-blinded placebo-controlled randomised trial. BMJ Open. 2016:6(12):e012572.doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012572. (IF: 2.376)
- Chen L, Mo H, Zhao L, Gao W, Wang S, Cromie MM, Lu C, Wang JS, Shen CL. Therapeutic Properties of Green Tea Against Environmental Insults. J Nutr Biochem. 2017; 40: 1-13. (IF: 4.490)
- Rahman SM, Baquero KC, Choudhury M, Janssen RC, de la Houssaye BA, Sun M, Miyazaki-Anzai S, Wang S, Moustaid-Moussa N, Miyazaki M, Friedman JE. C/EBPβ in Bone Marrow is Essential for Diet Induced Inflammation, Cholesterol Balance, and Atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2016; 250: 172-9. (IF: 4.239)
- Zhang J, Nie S, Martinez-Zaguilan R, Sennoune S, Wang S*. Formulation, Characteristics and Anti-atherogenic Bioactivities of CD36-Targeted Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG)-Loaded Nanoparticles. J Nutr Biochem. 2016:30:14–23. NIHMS 740685. (IF: 4.490)
Courses Fall 2020 NTR 100 Intro to Nutrition Science
2018 Associate Member, Texas Tech University (TTU) System Chapter of National Academy of Inventors.
2017 Mary Swartz Rose Young Investigator Award, American Society for Nutrition.
2017 TTU Celebration of Excellence in Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity.
2014 Chancellors Council Distinguished Research Award, Texas Tech University.
2013 Outstanding Research Award, Texas Tech University College of Human Sciences.
2012 Nominee, The Barnie E. Rushing Jr. Faculty Distinguished Research Award, Texas Tech University.
2012 Finalist, Nutrition, Physical Activity & Metabolism (NPAM) Young Investigator Award, American Heart Association.
2007 Finalist, Procter & Gamble Graduate Student Research Award, American Society for Nutrition.
2006 NIH Training Grant Trainee (T32 HL69772-01A1 Nutrition and Cardiovascular Disease).
2019- present Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA)
2019-2020 Immediate Past President of the North America Chinese Society for Nutrition
2018-2019 President of the North America Chinese Society for Nutrition
2017-2018 Vice President of the North America Chinese Society for Nutrition
2009 -Present American Society for Nanomedicine
2003 -Present American Heart Association
2001 -Present American Society for Nutrition
09/2016-Present Editorial Advisory Board, Preventive Nutrition and Food Science
09/2013-Present Editorial Advisory Board, The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry