Department of Speech and Hearing Science

Frequently Asked Questions

Audiology, AuD

Search for "SHS" in the ASU Course Catalog for course descriptions.

Tuition at ASU varies from year to year. The current tuition rates can be reviewed at Students from out of state may qualify for in-state tuition and fees after one year of Arizona residency. See for full details.

We receive 100+ applications each year. In an effort to reduce the cost of application fees for the student, ASU does not participate in the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service (CSDCAS). 

Successful applicants have a total score of 300 for the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE as well as GPAs of 3.0 and greater. Although the GPA and the GRE are primary indicators of graduate-school success, the Admissions Committee also takes other factors into consideration including letters of recommendation, applicant's work experience, statement of intent, and other information that may uniquely qualify an individual for graduate work.  

The average GPA of the class entering in 2016 was 3.55.  Average GRE score was 302.

The following six (6) undergraduate prerequisites or their equivalent are required: (1) anatomy and physiology of hearing (SHS 311), (2) speech/language disorders (SHS 310 and 485), (3) speech/language acquisition (SHS 367 and 465), and (4) introduction to audiology (SHS 401). These or equivalent courses are offered at most undergraduate institutions offering a degree in speech and hearing science (or communicative disorders). These courses also are offered at ASU.

Our AuD program is a three-year program that includes three years of coursework and clinical practice with an optional fourth year of clinical externship.

No. However, all students are required to complete 6 undergraduate courses in the area of speech and hearing science. Students are admitted with deficiency status and are required to take the courses during their first year of study. It is also important to note that the prerequisite work extends the course of study by one year for a total of five years.

Communication Disorders, MS

For information regarding upcoming events hosted by the department, please call 480-965-4520 or email

No we do not offer a degree program that can only be completed through summer study.

We admit students to the master's program with the assumption that they will undertake study on a full-time basis. However, it is possible to obtain the degree on a part-time basis, assuming a flexible schedule on the part of the student and observation of the 6-year time limit imposed by the Division of Graduate Studies. The six years begins with the first course included on the student's approved Program of Study. It is not possible to complete all degree requirements in the evenings, weekends, and summers.If you are employed by an Arizona school district and working without full qualifications, we do offer a part-time program option, referred to as the Professional Enhancement Program, that will allow you to complete your degree in 3 years.

A maximum of 9 semester credit hours of SHS graduate coursework may count, pending approval by your ASU graduate committee, and assuming you reserved the courses for graduate credit. Please review the Graduate College policy on reserved credits. In addition, please note that Graduate courses taken prior to admission that are included on the Plan of Study must have been completed within three years of the semester and year of admission to the program.

You may transfer a maximum of 6 semester credit hours of graduate coursework, pending approval by your ASU graduate committee. These credits cannot have been used to meet the requirements for a bachelor's degree. Rather, they must have been reserved for graduate credit. Please review the Graduate College policy on transfer credits. In addition, please note that Graduate courses taken prior to admission that are included on the Plan of Study must have been completed within three years of the semester and year of admission to the program.

Yes. However, your advisor will review your background coursework to ensure that it is the equivalent of the course list posted in the answer above. As a result of that review, you may be required to complete additional background coursework at ASU.

Yes. However, we give preference to applicants who have either (a) have an undergraduate major/minor in the discipline, or (b) have already completed background undergraduate coursework in the discipline. If your degree is in another discipline, please make it clear in your statement of intent whether or not you have completed background undergraduate coursework. ASU undergraduate requirements for students who need to complete background coursework are listed below. If you completed your background coursework elsewhere your transcript is evaluated to make sure you have covered the content areas associated with each course.

Leveling coursework 
SHS (250) Phonetics (3 credits)
SHS (310) Anatomical/Physiological Bases of Speech (3 credits)
SHS (311) Physical/Physiological Bases of Hearing (3 credits)
SHS (367) Language Science (3 credits)
SHS (375)** Speech Science (3 credits; SHS 250, SHS 310 and SHS 311 are prerequisites)
SHS (401)** Introduction to Audiology (3 credits; SHS 311 is a prerequisite)
SHS (402) Clinical Methods and Treatment of Communication Disorders (3 credits; SHS 250 is a prerequisite)
SHS (465, or 565 if graduate credit is desired) Speech and Language Acquisition (3 credits; SHS 367 is a prerequisite)
SHS (496, or 596 if graduate credit is desired)** Aural Rehabilitation (3 credits; SHS 375 and SHS 401 are prerequisites)

** Course is also offered in the Summer

Your recommenders will be able to determine an applicant's potential for success in graduate school. For the most part, current or former professors are in the best position to provide this information. Employers may also be helpful in this regard, if you have been employed in the field (e.g., bachelor's level therapist, speech-language pathology assistant, audiology assistant) or even in a related capacity (e.g., teacher, teacher's aide, rehabilitation specialist, etc.). Recommendations from friends of the family usually do not provide information that is regarded as pertinent to the admissions committee.

The 'statement of intent' should include a concise summary of the applicant's professional goals, specific interests within the chosen discipline, and relevant experiences to date.

Committee members view the 'statement of intent' as an opportunity to gain information about individual applicants that goes beyond the more traditional indicators such as letters of reference, grade point averages, and GRE scores. The committee relies on multiple sources of information, both subjective and objective, to reach an admission decision. An applicant's 'statement of intent' is evaluated for clarity of writing and form. It is also an essential vehicle for understanding the applicant's professional goals, specific interests within the professions (e.g., adults, children, infants, toddlers, hearing impaired, etc.), and special experiences that may have generated initial interest in the discipline.

Yes, on occasion. The admissions committee endeavors to construct a profile of applicants' potential that is not dependent upon any single criterion.

Yes. Our minimum standard is an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a four point scale. Successful applicants typically have at least a 3.5 GPA during their last two years of undergraduate studies.

No. We view the GRE as one indicator of potential for graduate study. Over the years we have admitted students with a range of GRE scores. Thus, we neither accept nor reject applicants on the basis of their GRE scores alone.

Yes. Our application requirements apply to all prospective students. There are no exceptions. However, if you wish, you may provide an explanation as to your testing history, or whatever other information you believe may assist the committee in obtaining an accurate understanding of your potential for success in our graduate program.

If your application was completed by the posted deadline you should receive notification in March.

No. Our courses are sequenced. Therefore, students may only begin graduate study during a Fall term.

The application deadline is January 15th prior to the August in which you wish to begin studies.

While most of your materials are requested to be uploaded during the completion of your online application, please have your GRE test scores and transcripts sent to: 

Arizona State University
Graduate Admission Services
PO Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

You can apply to the Arizona State University Graduate College. Submit GRE scores from Educational Testing Services to program code R4007. A complete application, including the Graduate College application, official transfripts, GRE scores, along with the statement of intent, must be on file by January 15th for consideration for fall admission.

Part-Time Employment Program

If you would like to apply to the PEP master's program, but you have earned your undergraduate degree in a field other than speech and hearing science, you will need to complete a year of leveling coursework. This coursework is fundamental to understanding the concepts of disorders and therapy that you will cover in the graduate program. Therefore it will take you a total of four years to earn the Master of Science in communication disorders as a PEP student. We offer a handout that details the options you have to satisfy the leveling requirements.

In addition to these leveling courses, you will also need to make sure you have taken at least one course in the fields of behavioral sciences, biological sciences, and physical sciences (chemistry or physics), as well as a statistics course. These additional competency requirements are required by the Council for Clinical Certification in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. If you have not already had these courses while working toward your bachelors' degree, you will need to take them before you finish your master's in speech pathology.

Once accepted into ASU's master's program in communication disorders, you will need to obtain your school district's support to accommodate part-time employment your first year in the program and scheduling to allow for late afternoon/evening classes your second and third year. You also need to identify a master's level, ASHA certified, Speech Language Pathology (SLP-CCC) within the district to supervise practicum experiences in the work setting. You may also want to explore opportunities for financial assistance from your district such as grant/scholarship opportunities and work-exchange agreements.

PEP clinical practicum hours are acquired in the public school work setting, ASU's Speech and Language clinics, and hospital settings in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Your clinical training will be supervised by an ASHA-certified SLP and coordinated by an ASU faculty member. It will include hours with children and adults as required by ASHA. Because most of your training is completed on your job, you will need to be employed as a speech language pathology assistant or speech/language technician. Some students have jobs as SLPAs or SLTs when they apply; other students start the master's program and then interview for positions as SLPAs or SLTs with school districts affiliated with ASU.

It is important that you indicate in your personal statement when applying to the MS Communication Disorders program that you are interested in pursuing PEP. Applications must be received by January 2nd and are considered with all other applicants to Arizona State University's master's program in speech/language pathology.

There are three things to do now:

  • Complete the application to the ASU Graduate College for MS Communication Disorders program. 
  • Indicate in your 300 word personal statement within the application your reasons for pursuing the PEP.
  • Discuss your interest with the special education director in your district if you are currently employed as a SLPA or SLT in the schools.

During the first year, classes are held twice a week in the afternoons with additional class activities and assignments completed online. Clinical training is also completed during the first year and because of the intensity of coursework and clinical training students should plan on only working part-time during the first year. Master's courses in the following two years typically meet in the later afternoons and evenings which allow students to work up to full-time if needed. You will need to obtain your district's support for your participation in PEP to facilitate scheduling and attendance. Coursework and practicum with adults in hospital and clinic settings are completed during the summer sessions after your first and second years.

The program is designed to be completed in three years and accommodate someone who is working part-time in the public schools during the first year and up to full-time as a SLPA or SLT during the second and third years of the master's program.

The Part-time Employment Program is a way to complete ASU's master's degree program in speech/language pathology while working part-time in the public schools. It is offered by the Department of Speech and Hearing Science with funding support from the Arizona Department of Education to address the critical need for qualified speech language personnel in the schools. Once admitted to the master's program in communication disorders, students work part-time as Speech Language Pathology Assistants (SLPAs) or Speech Language Technicians (SLTs) while they complete their master's degree over a three year period.

Bilingual Training Program

Yes, students in the BTP will have the opportunity to travel to Mexico for a student exchange the last summer of their program.

The differentiating factors among training tracks are the types of internship experiences and the elective course work. The classes required of those in the bilingual track are Spanish Speech and Language Acquisition (3 credits) and Bilingual Speech and Language Assessment and Intervention (3 credits).

If you are in the BTP, we will set up practica and internships with bilingual populations with a focus on children. You will have at least one school internship and one clinic practicum with bilingual clients. In addition, during your bilingual school internship, you will have a bilingual SLP mentor that will help you problem solve, develop materials, practice your professional Spanish, and guide you as needed.

It is important that you indicate in your letter of intent when applying to the MS Communication Disorders program that you are interested in applying to the Bilingual Training Program.

There are three things to do now:

  • Complete the application to the ASU Graduate College for MS Communication Disorders program. 
  • In your letter of intent (or personal statement), please indicate your interest in participating in the Bilingual Training Program.
  • Complete the BTP application form

Spanish proficiency will be determined initially through an interview process in Spanish with one of the faculty who are bilingual. For the certificate, however, you must pass a Spanish proficiency exam and complete the specialized courses in the BTP.

The program is designed to be completed in two years.

Students completing the Bilingual Training Program (BTP) are master's students in Arizona State University's Speech & Hearing Sciences department. The BTP is one of three options or tracks that graduate students may choose within the MS degree program. It is designed for those interested in working with bilingual children, and provides students with the opportunity to get a Certificate of Bilingual Competency in Speech-Language Pathology.

Postbaccalaureate Certificate in Communication Sciences and Disorders

The post baccalaureate certificate is designed for students who have already received a bachelor's degree in another discipline but have decided to pursue a master's degree in speech-language pathology/communication disorders.  This coursework will provide students with prerequisite background and knowledge necessary to perform at the master's level in the field.  Completion of the Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Communication Sciences and Disorders certificate will allow students to meet the American Speech Language and Hearing Association (ASHA) requirements to enter master's programs in speech-language pathology/communication disorders. The Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Communication Sciences and Disorders certificate does not guarantee admission into any program, but does indicate that the candidate has acquired the requisite coursework in preparation for graduate level study.

Required certificate courses

  • SHS 250 Introduction to Phonetics (3 credits)
  • SHS 310 Anatomical/Physiological Bases of Speech (3 credits)
  • SHS 311 Physical/Physiological Bases of Hearing (3 credits)
  • SHS 367 Language Science (3 credits)
  • SHS 375 Speech Science (3 credits)
  • SHS 401 Introduction to Audiology (3 credits)
  • SHS 402 Clinical Methods and Treatment of Communication Disorders (3 credits)
  • SHS 465 Speech and Language Acquisition (3 credits)
  • SHS 496 Aural Rehabilitation (3 credits)

Total minimum credit hours required for certificate 27

You must complete an application form and submit the appropriate fee which is to Arizona State University Admissions Department. The application form is available online at

The department offers rolling admission for the certificate program and supplemental certificate applications are reviewed at the end of each month.

 You can start either in the Fall semester or the Spring semester.

Successful applicants typically have at least a 3.0 GPA.

Applicants must have completed a bachelor's degree in another field with a minimum GPA of 3.0.  Applicants will be expected to have met ASHA general knowledge requirements either before or during completion of the certificate.  The general knowledge courses include one undergraduate level course in each of the following areas: statistics, social/behavioral sciences, biological science, and physics or chemistry.

You must submit the application for graduate admission, along with the application fee. In order to expedite the evaluation of your application, also submit official transcripts, and your statement of purpose.  Statement of purpose should be 300 words or less.

Students are limited to 6 credit hours from another institution. Students will have to submit their syllabi and transcripts for review and determination of equivalency will occur after your acceptance into the program.

Yes, students can apply completed courses from the list if they have passed them with a grade of B or higher.

No we do not offer a degree/certificate program that can only be completed through summer study.